Pauly's Soul Stuff

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Joys of Love

It is beautiful as the gentle white snow falls quietly on this early December morn. A reminder that we must slow down and not race around today. I have so many people to see and so much to do in the few days I am in Chicago and this gift of nature will give me the opportunity to simplify some of my grandiose adventure.

I am in Mundelein IL, with my beautiful extended family the Mellons.

Laura, in her mid forties, was my daughter Abby's first baby sitter in Evanston IL. Laura was 11 and Abby was 6 months.

Last night we listened to Christmas carols and semi-decorated the tree. Actually Mallory, the Mellons adopted daughter who is now 11, and John the man of the house put some lights on the top quarter of the tree.

Mallory is truly an inspiration to illustrate the power of love. She is the biological daughter of Laura's sister Carol, who lived a life of drug and alcohol addictions.

Mallory was born premature with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and after a few months was placed with her maternal grandparents Mary and Bob Wadsworth (another story of love) until she became part of the Mellon family in 1995. This beautiful child, with her special needs, has blossomed into a magnificent being. She has met and moved through many challenges. This is truly the work of love from her parents and grandparents and all those who meet Mallory.

As soon as I figure out how to scan a picture of her I will post it.

The Mellons also have Liam who is 10. What a joy and delight. He is in the gifted program in school and continues to amaze us with his brilliance. He taught himself to divide during summer vacation when he was 6. Just an example. In addition to this gift of brilliance, Liam has a great sense of humor and is a delight to be with. He also is an awesome normal kid.

Laura has been an inspiration in my life as well as a fabulous support and truly a bright shining soul. To celebrate my 70th birthday, Laura and my other Laura about whom I will write later on this blog, went on 7 roller coasters at six flags. Sometimes in the front row and laughed so hard people thought we were crazy. Which of course we are.

These connections are sacred to me and keep me young, vibrant and happy to be alive.

I wish you all the connections of love I find in my extended families.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home